IRAM, the first Institution of Standardisation of Latin America, was created in 1935 and faithful to its principles related to standardisation and certification, wanted to showwith the example of its performance, the benefits of the quality and environmental management systems.
In its increasing concern for achieving and demonstrating to the different interested parties a proper quality and environmental management, IRAM,taking into accountits mission, vision and strategic planification, has defined, as a part of its policy, the implementation, maintenance and corresponding certification of both the Quality Management System (QMS) and Environmental Management System (EMS).
For this purpose, in 2002, IRAM started the implementation of both Systems: the EMS for all its activities and services at the Headquarters and the QMS for the activities and services of the Standardization Direction. This process began with the commitment of the top management, which defined two lines of action:
On one side an action aimed to obtain and to show the different concerned parties a correct environmental management, controlling the environmental impact of our activities and services.
On the other side an action aimed to obtain a quality management system to optimise the elaboration process of IRAM standards and the adoption of Regional, Hemispheric and International standards, which implies the contribution to improve people’s quality of life, welfare and security, to promote the rational use of resources and the creative activity as well as to facilitate production, commerce and the passing on knowledge.
After strict auditsand with excellent results, this process finished, or otherwise it began, with the achievement of both certifications granted by AENOR International in July 2003.
However, the certification ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 is only the beginning of the commitment assumed by IRAM to carry out all its business activities in an environmentally responsible manner and with quality assurance, since we assumed the responsibility to maintain these systems throughout time.
Should you have any doubts or need more details, do not hesitate to consult us through:
Ing Oliva Hernandez
Representative of Standardization Direction for ISO9000
Ing. Natalia Drault
Representative of General Direction for ISO 14001
Taking into account the organization’s mission, vision, objectives and activities, IRAM has defined its Environmental Policy as follows:
IRAM recognizes that the Protection of the Environment is vital for the organization’s progress and development, as well as for the quality of life of the community, accordingly with what has been established in the Social Statute and in the Mission and View of the Institute. For this reason, IRAM has committed itself to conduct the whole of its activities in an environmentally responsible manner.
According to the role and responsibilities that have been assigned to every and all IRAM´s staff members, they must be aware of the following principles, which are essential for their activities:
- Development of standards supporting to the economical, social and environmental growth of our country. With that purpose and as a part of the commitment with the continual improvement process, the emphasis shall be placed on the target to include the environmental aspects in the development of standards as a strategy of co-operation with the sustainable development of the community.
- Cooperation, through the activities of the different business units of the organization, with governmental and non governmental bodies and the society in general for the environmental quality improvement.
- Compliance with the current environmental legislation relevant to our organization and with any other environmental statement which IRAM voluntarily supports.
- Prioritization of the organization’s internal activities of all those issues related to the rational use of the natural resources, the prevention of pollution and the proper management of the waste generated from such activities.
- Enhancement of the environmental awareness degree among the whole organisation’s staff and of those suppliers and/or subcontractors who, as a result from their activities, are likely to generate environmental impacts.
- Promote the environmental education in the community as a way to colaboratethat our future generations include in their culture and life style the necessarry tools to achieve a sustainable development of their activities.
Finally, we want to point out some other features of our EMS:
-This is the first ISO 14001 Certification of a NSB in the world, which is forIRAM a great honour and a great responsibility
- The business units reached by the EMS are those which are developed in our Headquarters Office: Standardisation, Certification, Documentation Center, Training Department and Maintenance, Services and Administration.
- Development of Environmental Performance Indicators, both of Management and Operation, according to ISO 14031.
- Communication Programme both for Internal audience by means ofmonthly bulletins and for external interested parties like suppliers, members of IRAM, persons who come to consult standards, etc.
- Training courses aimed to enhance and strengthen the EMS for every person working at IRAM.
- A very good electronic system to access to new EMS documents or procedures and also to inform about deviations or anormalities detected by any person who is inside the Headquarters Office.
Taking into account, the Mission, the Vision and the values of IRAM and considering that the quality of our products and processes is an important objective of our activity, the General Direction of IRAM has established for the Standardization Direction, the following quality policy:
- To elaborate useful standards for the community with a wide democratic spirit and with an active participation of every and all interested parties.
- To meet the needs and expectations of the customers and other parties involved.
- To look for opportunities to improve the process developed by the Standardization Direction.
- To promote the use of IRAM´s standards and Standardization as the foundation stone of quality.
- To keep updated IRAM´s standards due to the technological evolution of every sector, taking into account security, health and environmental aspects.
- To promote IRAM´s participation along with the corresponding national sectors in regional, hemispheric and international standardization, setting consensed positions and considering the national interests
- To have a high quality staff based on its competence and commitment to all of its activities.
Based on this quality policy, objectives to be reached in a short and medium lenght term have been defined, which main directives are:
- The improvement of the active participation of the different sectors involved in the study organisms, is an issue to be developed for which is necessary to measure the participation level and to investigate the causes that may affect it.
- A plan to measure and increase the satisfaction level of our customers has been developed and in this first stage, this action is directed on one side towards the customers who demand our services in the Documentation Centre and on the other side towards those who participate actively in the standardisation activities.
- Besides we pretend that 100% of documents which are studied, shall be approved without major failures, this commits us to carry out the control of the Standardisation process.
- To carry out in a quick and efficient manner the necessities that may appear for the study of new standards or the modifications and updating of the ones in force. This is another aspect which is within our objectives. In this way our mediate purpose is to count with standards which shall be in force for a lapse no longer than five years.
Training is a constant objective in order to achieve the continuous improvement of our QMS.
- We also pretend to increase our participation level in the regional, hemispheric and international standardisation Committees.